A little background info...

This school year, students at my school were offered a course titled, "Normal is Weird". In class, we discuss the abnormalities of seemingly normal habits/commonalities. In order to collect homework assignments, our teacher, Andy, had each of his students create a blog based on the course.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

HW 56 - Culminating Project Comments

Comments I made:
John: 
When you told me that you were going to a stranger’s funeral, I was a little skeptical. The idea seemed cool, but ultimately I thought you’d get caught or something. I think your experience was unique and that your observations/thoughts were interesting (the part about being sorry).
While I enjoyed your ending, I felt that your post was incomplete in some ways, and that certain thoughts went unfinished. I think you could have touched more on lying to this woman- why is it so unacceptable for you to be at a stranger’s funeral? If you were to say “I didn’t know him well, but I’ve heard he was a great guy”, where do you think the conversation would have went etc? Good ideas, good post.
Lucas:
Lucas, you are an amazing writer. Your post was fun to read, and I enjoyed your little note at the end.
I would have liked to see the video, and read about something you learned about care of the dead, not necessarily life skills, but your clever wording turned your learned skills into a project.
I'm kind of at a loss for words, I don't really know what other feedback to give you.

Comments on my blog:
Kady:
I really enjoyed reading your post. It was both personal and informative. The interview was the most interesting part. I do always wonder how accurate those crime shows are. I noticed that you started questioning if the police should be fighting crime instead of waiting outside the homes of the recently deceased, but you never answered your own question. I would have been very interested to read the information you would have found on the ethics on the job of a police officer.
Dad:
So the old man across the hall dies. I guess the possibility that foul play may or may not have been the cause of his demise would have made for some great Law and Order episode. But it appears that you discovered that sometimes life and death is just well, kind of boring.
Interesting how Stacey from Criminal Minds points out that they sometimes show you a, then c while skipping b even if it makes for an inaccurate timeline because people would get bored. I was surprised to learn that sometimes the real dead body is not as gross as what’s on the show. I guess entertainment is entertainment and holding the interest of the audience is number one. But it sounds like even though there’s a responsibility to advertisers to bring in viewers, there’s at least a desire to get it right. I would have liked to have gotten some insight into the operations of another television show regarding the dead to see how their approach measures up against Criminal Minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment