A little background info...

This school year, students at my school were offered a course titled, "Normal is Weird". In class, we discuss the abnormalities of seemingly normal habits/commonalities. In order to collect homework assignments, our teacher, Andy, had each of his students create a blog based on the course.

Friday, May 27, 2011

HW 59 - SOF Prom 2011 & DSPs

I did not attend last night's prom or after party. Actually, I was quite tired and went to sleep around 7pm. I woke up in the middle of the night (around 4am) and my computer was still on. I went over to turn it off and noticed I was logged into my facebook account. I refreshed the page and saw that someone had already posted a picture from after-prom. The caption was "Afterprom bitchezzzzz". And then I turned off my computer and went back to sleep. 


Earlier today I was at my friend's house and one of the first things she did when we got there was turn on her computer and look at prom pictures. I found myself making conversation by commenting on dresses I liked or pictures we thought were funny. My friend skipped over a picture and I did a double take, telling her to go back a page. It was of a female senior who dresses pretty masculine every day. She looked completely different. She had her hair and makeup done, she was wearing pumps and a bright blue dress with a poofy skirt bottom. At first I was happy-she looked great- but then I got to thinking about identity. The girl I saw in those prom pictures was totally different from the girl I was used to seeing every day at school. With that said, it was her choice whether or not to dress that way. 


I'll probably go to prom next year. I don't plan on skipping school simply to pamper myself hours in advance. I really wont know until next year though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment